Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Blogging about blogs

Everybody today is blogging about something.  Any topic you search there is a blog about that particular topic.   People globally have information to share on a blog.  That is one of the benefits of blogging; you can connect with someone to share and obtain information about a topic of interest.  I have never participated in a blog until I took EDUC 536.  We were blogging as a class, with a section of EDCU 584 and I was administering a blog for my class project with a group of College Experience students from my college.  By the end of the semester I was very interested in blogging especially how it could assist me professionally.  My experience blogging with the College Experience students was great.  I must admit in the beginning I was skeptical, but their participation in the project was great.  As the administrator I enjoyed reading thought out responses and posting my comments.  The topics we blogged about were Cyber bulling and Digital Footprints.  I feel that blogging on those topics was a learning experience for both the students and myself.  My positive blogging experiences shared with the College Experience students has kept my interest in viewing higher education blogs.  I frequently look at blogs to see what other higher education professionals are doing in my area.  One particular blog (entitled: “Confessions of a Community College Dean”) is written by an anonymous dean at a northeastern community college.  His blog covers various topics trending in higher education today.  Two posts that I really enjoyed reading are: “Googling the Job Candidates” and “Peeling the Onion.  The link for the blog is below if anyone is interested in reading any of the posts.  “Googling the Job Candidates” is a good post for anyone interested in the importance of leaving a good digital footprint.

 I believe blogging is a positive teaching tool.  How has blogging impacted or affected your students academically?
https://suburbdad.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. I will definitely check out the blog you linked to, in particular the post about Googling a job candidate. I think as teens and young adults today leap into social media, many of them fail to consider the potential long term consequences of what they share online. This is a topic that I think is worthy of meaningful discussion in middle and high schools - particularly if we ourselves plan to encourage our students to make use of social media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. This topic must be discussed at the middle/high school level and continued into college. When I first started to speak to college students about this topic, I was amazed at the number of students who did not think about the long term consequences of what they posted online. Now that social media and or other methods of technology are being incorporated into academics, it is important that all of implement safe online practices.

      Delete